Flash Samsung Galaxy S10e stock ROM
by Antoine - categories : Android OS
Work in a virtual machine
I've been into several troubles to make Odin recognize my device in Samsung's Download mode (aka "Odin mode"), until I worked in a clean Windows install in a VM (VMware Workstation Pro). As soon as you want to "play" with Android ROMs, you will need to install and try softwares and drivers from different sources.
If not for security, just keep your (host) system clean from them and work with a fresh Windows setup in a sandbox VM. This will eventually save you from fighting hours into painful drivers problems. Just do a VM snapshot before installing anything, then roll back when you are done with the phone.
Cables and USB ports
Using third-party USB cables can keep your device unrecognized from your desktop. If you can't get the phone to communicate (file transfert) with Windows, you may want to try another USB ports, then try another cables. Usually the stock one will work great.
Backup all your files, photos, videos, contacts, apps, conversations, etc before doing anything on your phone.
Do not forget that Samsung SmartSwitch backups are encrypted and cannot be read by another OS than Samsung's Android OneUI !
If you are installing a custom OS from stock, I strongly recommand to manually backup things and export contacts in a .vcf file.
Step 1 - Prerequisites
Download tools, drivers, ROM :
- Install Odin Samsung ROM flashing utility for Windows : https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/patched-odin-3-13-1.3762572/
- Install Samsung USB driver for Windows : https://developer.samsung.com/android-usb-driver
- Install Frija or SamFirm : Samsung firmware download/checker, or just download the ROM zip from https://www.sammobile.com/samsung/galaxy-s10e/firmware/SM-G970F/XEF/#SM-G970F
You should end with several ".tar.md5" files.
Step 2 - Flash stock ROM
- Turn off the phone and remove the USB cable from the phone.
- Keep both Volume DOWN + Bixby buttons pressed, and then, connect the USB cable to the phone (wired to the PC on the other side).
- Wait ~5 seconds, the Download mode (green screen) should start. If you see any blinking charge icon, you failed : retry :)
- In Download mode first screen, press Volume UP to continue.
- The device should be detected by Odin.
- In Odin : load the corresponding .tar.md5 (BL, AP, CP, CSC) files downloaded in Step 1, then click start. Do nothing before it ends.