Upgrade LineageOS on S10e
by Antoine - categories : Android OS Privacy
This tutorial explains how to upgrade a major version of LineageOS on a Samsung S10e phone (SM-G970F / beyond0lte). In this case I upgraded from LOS v18.1 to v20.
Work in a virtual machine
Keep your (host) system clean from softwares/drivers and work with a fresh Windows setup in a sandbox virtual machine. This will eventually save you from fighting hours into painful drivers problems. Just do a VM snapshot before installing anything, then roll back when you are done with the phone.
Cables and USB ports
Using third-party USB cables can keep your device unrecognized from your desktop. If you can't get the phone to communicate (file transfert) with Windows, you may want to try another USB ports and/or cables. Obviously the stock one will work great.
Even if the upgrade is supposed to preserve all files, apps and settings (even the Work profile), always backup/export all your files, photos, videos, contacts, apps, conversations, etc before doing anything on the phone.
Step 1 - Prerequisites
- USB debugging enabled on the phone
- The S10e connected with desktop through USB
- Samsung USB drivers installed
- adb (Android Debug Bridge) tools installed
We can check that ADB recognizes the phone with the following command (Powershell).
PS C:\Users\User\Desktop\adb> .\adb.exe devices List of devices attached RF*******LP device
Step 2 - Upgrade S10e using adb
- Download the latest Lineage OS ROM (.zip file) or with pre-patched microG, depending on which you're using
- In powershell, run the following command
adb.exe sideload, the phone will restart in Lineage Recovery
- As soon as the LOS Recovery screen's up, run
adb.exe sideload path\to\ROM.zipfrom powershell
PS C:\Users\User\Desktop\adb> .\adb.exe sideload ..\lineage-20.0-20230502-microG-beyond0lte.zip serving: '..\lineage-20.0-20230502-microG-beyond0lte.zip' (~1%)
- Wait until the upgrade is done, and restart the phone as soon as LineageOS Recovery offers you to do so. NB : on the Windows side, adb may looks like it is stuck at 47% : this is normal according to the official LineageOS documentation, just exit/cancel.
Be the first to comment 🡮